Sunday Sonnet

Sunday 8 November 2009



One of the most thought-provoking views on the planet.

O valiant hearts who to your glory came
through dust of conflict and through battle flame;
tranquil you lie, your knightly virtue proved,
your memory hallowed in the land you loved.

Proudly you gathered, rank on rank, to war
as who had heard God's message from afar;
all you had hoped for, all you had, you gave,
to save mankind - yourselves you scorned to save.

Splendid you passed, the great surrender made;
into the light that nevermore shall fade;
deep your contentment in that blest abode,
who wait the last clear trumpet-call of God.

John Stanhope Arkwright, 1919

I'm impressed by anyone who can sing to the third verse of this without a huge lump in their throat. Not as impressed as I am, of course, by the men and women, then and now, in whose memory we sing it; my children and I remember you today with pride, admiration, respect and profound gratitude.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, very very important to remember and reflect. Just come back from the Navy war memorial at Tower Hill, with my Dad who lost a brother in WW2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James - mu pleasure.

    Mary - in your and your old man's honour I am defrosting after a weekend of touchline duty with a large Whisky Mac. x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment if you can be remotely bothered - anything you have to say is valuable and I absolutely love hearing from you all. Elizabeth